News

Former wrestler Axl Rotten died of overdose in restaurant bathroom

Brian Knighton, who achieved 1990s fame wrestling as Axl Rotten in Extreme Championship Wrestling, suffered an accidental drug overdose when he died in a McDonald’s bathroom earlier this month, the Baltimore Sun reportedTuesday.

Knighton died Feb. 4 at age 44. He’d struggled with drug and alcohol addiction during his career and according to an online fundraising page, wrestling took so much of a toll on his back that doctors told him he needed two cervical spine surgeries or he might spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

Knighton was clean and sober, the fundraising page stated, however it also says the campaign ended in August 2015 and it failed to raise any money.

“WWE┬áis saddened to learn of reports that Brian Knighton, best known for competing in ECW as Axl Rotten from 1993 to 1999, has passed away. WWE extends its condolences to Knighton’s family, friends and fans,” WWE, which owns ECW, said in a statement.

Knighton’s last tweet, sent on the day of his death, serves as a haunting reminder of his tragic end.